Wednesday, July 2, 2008

3 Lizards


I see 3 lizards. How about you? No really. There are three lizards. The first is obvious, front and somewhat center. The second just has his tail showing on the left side. The third is hiding out below.

How cool is that?! I've never seen such a tiny lizard! Andy and I were sitting on the front porch this evening, enjoying the unseasonably coolness brought in from a rainstorm. I saw a few brown spots on the blades of our monkey grass. I thought, "Oh great. Some great fungus is invading." But as we continued to talk, and I was continually distracted by the "fungus," I saw it wiggle. What?! Still thinking it was just something as simple as the drip of a rain drop, I just kept watching, thinking about monkey grass fungi and how I was going to have to research what to do about it. But then, another wiggle, and I couldn't take it any more. I actually was kind of afraid of what I was going to find (marriage has made me a big wimp!); I made Andy step close with me. And what did we see?! The tiniest lizards I have ever seen! Honestly, these babies just made it into the world. As we stepped closer to look, Mommy lizard came to attack. Andy couldn't even scare her away. She was there to protect her newborn.

How cool. I just had to take pictures, but they so don't do justice. I tried to get one with Andy's hand to capture how tiny they are, but my poor camera had no clue what to focus on.

What a great night!