Monday, October 12, 2009

Remembering Dad

I'm remembering Dad this morning. It's hard to imagine that 3 years have passed since his death. It feels like I was talking with him on the phone just yesterday. Time flies when you're having lots of babies.

I recently met a pastor's wife, and it was so refreshing talking with someone who can relate with me so easily. As we were getting to know each other, sharing life histories, she discovered I was raised in a Godly home with Christian parents. She was so excited to hear that, especially since she and her husband are first generation Christians. As she learned more about my early (and truly deep) connection with Jesus, she began to drill me with parenting questions. I could see her heart yearning for her own two young, precious daughters, longing for them to experience something similar. She wanted to know exactly how my parents did it. Were they strict? Did they spank? What did we do as a family? And so on.
These are questions I'm continually asking myself. God greatly blessed me and my big brother Jim with amazing parents. Were they perfect? Of course not, which is highly encouraging to me as a very imperfect parent myself. But they did something right. By the grace of God, they garnered the wisdom and understanding to raise a couple of great kids. I think of my childhood often, many times imitating my parents because simple logic and success are on their side.
My prayer is that I will be able to take what my parents taught me in my life, build upon it and by God's grace take my parenting skills to the next level. Then in return, that my children will be able to do the same, far surpassing my efforts, blessing my grandchildren. And that's the greatness of generational godliness. Families, following Christ generation after generation, reaping the Lord's wisdom and blessings.
Thanks Mom and Dad for setting me up for success. I am who I am today because of your work in my life. You sacrificed a great deal in raising me and Jim, and for that I am forever grateful. I can honestly say I have the greatest parents in the world.
I'm missing you today, Dad. And to be honest, slightly jealous that you are enjoying an intimacy with Jesus that I have yet to experience. I'm happy for you and looking forward to the greatest reunion ever. Eternity is going to be out of this world!