Thursday, November 12, 2009

Toddler Talk

It's just not easy being 3. Poor J had a rough day. Tuesday morning at breakfast, C and M were talking about their favorite type of juice. C said white grape. M decided on pineapple. J piped up in her over the top loud voice ...

J: Hey Ma! I know wha' kin' juice is my favorite. It's peanut juice!!
Me: Peanut juice, J? Really? Hmmm ... I don't know if I've ever had peanut juice.
J: Aw Ma. No, das not right.
Me: Maybe you were thinking about pineapple juice.
J: (down and out) Yeah, das it. I was wrong.

Then during our picnic lunch we were enjoying some chocolate when C asked why it gets so messy. Naturally we began calling out things that melt.

M: Icecream!
C: Ice!
Me: Snowmen!
M: Snow!
J: Poptarts! Oops... no das' not right. I jus' don't know.
Me: I think you were thinking about popsicles, J.
J: Yeah! Das' it! Popsicles!

Then after nap we were back outside, this time enjoying dum-dums. The kids were describing what their suckers tasted like.

M: Mine tastes just like blueberries. Yum.
C: Mine is really good. It tastes like lemonade.
Me: What does your sucker taste like J? (no response, so I tried to encourage) Maybe cotton candy?
J: Nope. Mine tastes just like sticky, pink candy.

Oh, to be 3.