Monday, November 16, 2009

We went camping!

Without the kids!! Wow - what a great weekend, out in nature, bonding with friends, without wiping anyone's face or bottom. Fabulous.

Andy and I arrived after dark Friday afternoon to find our tent upright and ready, dinner hot and spicy, and friends smiling and laughing. Nothing could have made the night better. We sat down to eat the best camp food I've ever experienced - pork steak, bacon wrapped-sausage stuffed jalapenos, baked beans, and corn on the cob. I don't even like jalapenos, but ate at least 4 of the boogers. It was an amazing meal. All I did was show up with my Diet Dr Pepper. We were well taken care of.
After dinner we took a tour of the swamp. The guide led us along the boardwalk, pointing out critters along the way. We learned how to spot nocturnal animals, as well as some nifty facts about the function of our eyes. We even watched sparks fly as we chomped on wintergreen mints.
Then it was time for 'smore fun! We stoked the fire and perfected our marshmallow toasting skills. The evening lingered on with chocolate and talk, as we all relaxed, soaking in the slowness of the moment. It was beyond midnight at the first time check. Perfect weather, perfect night.
The next morning found us sitting around the fire, sipping coffee and enjoying breakfast - sausage, eggs, and toast. I'm not a big breakfast sausage lover, so I passed, but was bummed to later hear someone who also doesn't care for sausage saying she really enjoyed it. I totally missed out on the moment. Can I have a do-over please?!

We lounged around lazily until we decided to head over to the pond for some gator hunting. We got into a mean game of volleyball first. (I just have to say that Andy and I were on opposite teams, and yes we spanked his team! Sorry babe. I'll have to share my mad skills with you.) Then we ventured on our gator hunt. Thanks Destiny for spotting them for us!
The only negative thing about the trip was that it wasn't long enough. I don't think any of us were ready to call it quits. We could have easily stayed another night. It was so much fun!

Our fearless crew!

We're having way too much fun!