Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Crazy Routine

 I'm afraid we've gotten ourselves into a pretty crazy routine.

We begin our school at the table with spelling, language arts, and writing.  Then C and M begin to scatter for reading while J continues to work on her alphabet.  We meet again on the couch for history, poems, and eventually science.  After learning some science facts, we head back to the table to complete some questions.  C and M can read and answer most by themselves; J still requires a bit of help.  We all finish, but at different paces.  This can be fuel for disruptive chaos, so the crazy routine comes into play.
I send the child who first correctly completes her work to my bed in preparation for our reading time.  No big deal, right?  Well the girls have started a hiding game.  It began with J hiding under the blankets and attempting to scare the rest of us when we came in.  Now it has morphed into all three girls hiding under the blankets, waiting for me to come in, jump on them and say (in my big, bad voice) "Who's in my bed?!"
They erupt with squeals and laughter, and I try my best to get all of us back on track with school.  I guess it's a good break, like a mini recess.