Thursday, May 1, 2008

Gas and Toots


I hate to reveal such sensitive information about my little girl, but it's just too funny to not share. My precious little M has lots of gas. No seriously. I'm not exaggerating. She toots all the time. If you tickle her, be ready for the toot fest. If she's sitting on the hardwood floor, she's going to toot at least three times in a row, all the time exclaiming, "Oops. Excuse me. I'm so sorry." And the funny thing -- she's in no way trying to be crude or rude. She just has an excessive amount of gas. Honestly, she must toot 20 times a day, easily. (I'm probably underestimating it, for her sake.) We don't laugh or make a big deal. We just know that M's got gas. I'm afraid I hear that phrase a little too often.

So the other day I asked M why she has so much gas? Where does it all come from? She just stared at me, not able to think of an answer. Then her big sister came to the rescue. C said, "Oh Mom. It's because when Dad fills the car up with gas, she likes the smell. So when she smells it, it gives her lots of gas." To which M said, "Yep, yep. That's it. I smell the gas."


What?! But in their little 3 and 4 year old minds, it makes perfect sense.


Yesterday as we pulled up to the pump I heard C tell M. "Make sure you don't smell the gas M. It'll give you gas." I just had to sit back and smile. Some things aren't worth explaining just yet.