Friday, May 2, 2008

Family Fun Day

Friday is Family Fun Day at our house. It's the one day that Andy and I take off. We consider this our Sabbath. So how do we "remember the sabbath?" First, we turn off the phone and answering machine. Second, we turn off the email. You would be amazed at how Satan uses these two forms of communication to derail us from getting relaxing, refreshing rest. Third, I don't do the dishes! This is so key for me. I cannot allow myself to "keep house" on Friday. This means that I have to make special arrangements on Thursday to prepare for the sabbath. And fourth, we do all we can to keep our schedules clear on Friday. This means even if someone calls with something fun to do on Friday, we rarely commit. We want Friday to be a day of rest, doing what we want to do, when we want to do it. It's really important to us to protect the sabbath. And since it comes only once a week, we don't feel bad about hiding and disconnecting. It's what we need to do in order to be effective the rest of the week. I'd much rather have six days of powerful, fruitful living, than a full week of mediocre living.

So what's up with the picture? I try to include a picture with each post. I wondered what would come up with a google search for "family fun day." TADA -- you got it! Just FYI, I know nothing about Pontrhydyrun Baptist Church. I don't even know where Croesyceiliog is. And I certainly don't want to be part of any assault course!