Sunday, August 24, 2008

One tough Mom


I know it's true. I'm a tough mom. I demand quite a bit from my children. And the demands come early. I push my kids to fulfill their potential. I'm continually pushing them to the edge to discover their potential.
Like the other day when C was wearing shorts with a button. After going to the potty she asked me to help her to which I responded, "Not right now C. I want you to give it a try."
C: "But I can't Momma. I've tried, and I just can't do it. I need you to do it for me."
Mom: "I don't think that's true C. I think you can do it. You're getting to be so big, and I think this is something you can do for yourself. So I need you to go back to the playroom with your sisters and try for awhile."
C leaves with a sigh of anger. She gets to the playroom and all starts crying to her sisters, "See I can't do it, and Momma won't help me. Oh what am I going to do? I can't button my pants by myself." (She can be quite dramatic.) Then Andy and I hear an excited scream, "I did it!"
C comes running around the corner with a huge grin on her face. She buttoned her pants!!
Was I sure she was going to be able to do it? No. Would it have been easier for me to button the shorts? Yes, certainly. But was I willing to push my little girl to the edge to see if she could accomplish the unthinkable? Yes. And did it allow a new sense of pride to swell up in her? Of course.
So what does that have to do with the picture of M above? Same idea. I've posted before about our new nap time rule: You can't get up until you fall asleep.
This afternoon, after the kids were down and quiet, I went outside to mow the lawn. When I got to the backyard I noticed the blinds of the kids' bedroom had been pulled away from the window. The smart detective Mom that I am immediately recognized that one (or all) of my hoodlums had gotten out of bed. I finished mowing and went inside to ask Andy if he had done anything with the children.
He explained that C and M had "woken up" (according to them) and were looking out the window. He told them to go ahead and go to the playroom. The story seemed fishy to me so I continued my investigation. I went to the playroom to ask the girls if they had, in fact, gone to sleep.
Mom: "C and M, did you girls fall asleep today?"
M: Immediate response, "No ma'am. Not today. We decided to stay up." (The innocent ignorance of complete honesty.)
C: "Well Mom..."
Mom: "No 'well Mom.' Answer my question. Did you go to sleep? Yes or no."
C: "No ma'am. But I'm so sorry and I won't do it again." (Her attempt to get out of the consequences of her disobedience.
So clearly they had whipped their father, and thought they were going to get away with it. (He's got to brush up on those detective skills.) So I explained to them that they had two choices. They could choose to stop playing immediately, go lie down and take a nap. OR, they could continue to play, but that they would have to go to bed early tonight, missing dinner with the family. (GASP!) C said, "But Mom. I don't like either of those choices." I explained to her that she was not supposed to like the choices - that they were consequences for her bad choice during nap time. She shook her head and chose to go take a nap.
J and A were still napping, and I didn't want to risk waking them up. So C and M found a spot on the hardwood floor in the living room. No pillow. No blanket. They lost comfort privileges when they chose to not nap at nap time. One tough momma.
So what's the verdict? How did this play out? C and M were both sound asleep within 10 minutes. No fuss. No tears. They understood what was expected of them, and they rose to the occasion.
I may be tough, but I'm also amazed at what my girls are capable of. A little push, a little nudge to the edge, and they spread their wings and soar.
Way to go C and M! Once again you've proven what you're made of. I love helping you grow, and I love growing with you!