Saturday, September 6, 2008

No place like home

After our trip to Alexandria, we rushed home for a couple days only to repack our bags and head to Nana's in DeRidder. We were really looking forward to spending some time with my brother, his wife, and my new baby nephew who were also heading for Nana's. But Hurricane Gustav didn't cooperate. The weekend was far from what any of us had planned.
We ended up leaving DeRidder, heading for Lafayette on Saturday afternoon, still not 100% sure what our plans were. After getting home and watching the news, we realized we needed to pack once again and get the heck out of dodge!

So we left Lafayette at 9:30 Saturday night (way past my bedtime already). We drove through the night and finally arrived in Dallas at 6:30 Sunday morning. It was the toughest driving I've ever had to do. Andy and I started the journey by trading the driving duty every couple of hours. By the end, the most either of us could take at the wheel was 30 minutes! We were beyond pooped and no amount of caffeine was holding up our eyelids. But we were safe - out of the path of danger.

And we were welcomed with open arms by my aunt and uncle. (I'll have to share all our Dallas fun in another post.) I thank God for my relatives opening their home (and lives) to my crazy, demanding family of six. We stayed with them through Thursday.

Soon after we arrived, I was feeling really homesick and couldn't figure out why. I was thinking, "What's the big deal? Snap out of Lydia. We've only been here a couple of days." It was then that I realized I had spent almost two full weeks away from my home. I was tired of pulling my drawers from a suitcase rather than an actual drawer. I wanted my bed, my towels, my house, knowing all well that what I had in Dallas was much nicer than anything I had at home.

But we all know, there's no place like home, and I wanted to click my heels and magically be home.

It wasn't magic, but we've made our way back home, and boy does it feel good. After the first night of sleep, Andy and I both woke up saying we had never slept better. My pillow was covered with drool - one indicator of a good night's sleep for me. There's just something about home, and I am so glad to be back in mine.