Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Painting with our bottoms

So I'm a little embarrassed. The other day I had a couple girlfriends over. One is getting married soon, and we were excited to tackle the task of preparing and addressing wedding invitations.

I wanted to make sure to keep my girls out of our way, so I prepared a fun painting activity for them in the backyard. They love painting and were so excited!
All was going well, until one of my girlfriends looked out the window and began laughing hysterically. What was she laughing at?
Well, M and J had pulled their swimsuits to their ankles, and were rubbing their bottoms on their posterboards. One of my girlfriends yelled, "They are making butt prints!" It was so cute to watch them. They were covered in paint, but that's why I put them in their swimsuits to paint. They can go wild without me freaking out.
It's just a little embarrassing when people ask, "Is this normal behavior for them?" Yep. I'm afraid so. The backyard is their domain, and I try to do very little to interfere. I limit the rules in the backyard to their safety and respect of property. My goal is to create a safe environment that allows true free play for them. It's the only place where they are allowed to go wild and do what their little hearts desire.

So there's no landscaping, no flower pots, nothing hand's off. The backyard is my sanity. Toddler freedom may lead to naked girls painting with their bottoms, but what could more fun than that?!