Monday, January 19, 2009

Labor & Delivery with E

Every birth story is different. Baby E was a stubborn little thing. She just didn't want to come out. We were expecting her arrival on January 2, the famous "due date" that's rarely accurate. After waiting patiently for 10 days beyond her scheduled arrival, the decision to induce was made.
Andy and I arrived at the hospital at 5:15 AM on January 13. We did the routine check-in and finally got settled into our room at 6:30 AM. After a quick round of penicillin, I was given a little white pill that was to encourage the start of contractions. My body responded well, really well. Almost immediately labor contractions began. They were mild at first, but quite regular. And their regularity was one on top of the other, no spacing it out. I remember saying at one point, "Oh no. Not another one right now. I need a break." But there was no break. It was even difficult to sneak potty time.
And about every hour, I had to sit in the bed with the belts to monitor contractions and the baby's heartbeat. For me, sitting and enduring contractions is almost unbearable. It's a miserable time, and it really zaps my energy (and mood).
Shortly before 2 PM, my progress was checked. I was in intense pain at this moment. In the past when I've felt this pain, we've been on the verge of having a baby. It's called the "transition period" that has the most intense pain, but leads to 10 cm and pushing! What gets me through the pain is knowing that it's almost over. But when the nurse checked me, I was only 6 cm. Uh oh. This indicated more time, more pain.
For the first time in any of my labors, I said the word epidural. I've never even considered epidurals. I actually like doing it natural, because I feel more in charge, more empowered. But I knew that if I had to endure 2 more hours of intense contractions, one on top of the other, I wouldn't have the strength needed to push a 10 pounder out. I asked the nurse if it was too late for me to get one. She said, "Oh certainly not. As long as the baby's not coming out, you can have one. We can get it right now, and it takes about 15 minutes to work." I said, "Let's do it." And plans were put into place. Fluids were hooked up, and I was being prepped for an epidural immediately.
I had to sit on the side of the bed, my upper body rolled over my tummy. Not a comfortable position. As the needle was poking my back, I felt a contraction coming. My nurse was holding my shoulders, helping me stay really still. I said, "Oh ladies. Here comes a contraction. It's going to be a big one." The anesthesiologist said, "Well I just got a little of the meds into you. You'll still feel the pain, but it should feel shorter. Is it shorter?" I said, "No. Not at all." (Quick pause.) "Oh no, the baby!" The nurse holding my shoulders said, "It's okay hon. We're almost done. You're doing great." I said, "No really! The baby's coming out right now!"
She looked and saw the head crowing. Because I was sitting I couldn't close my legs, and the force of the baby coming was pushing me out of the bed. She was holding me in bed while yelling on the intercom, "Dr. Jurgelsky now! Run! Run! Now!! And I need all nurses in here! Now!!"
We made it through that contraction, sitting on the side of the bed, then I was told to get into bed. I was so disoriented I swung my legs toward the head of the bed. The nurse yelled, "No! Swing 'em the other way!" Oops. I even chuckled a bit. I must have looked like a total goober.
By this time I must have been feeling some of the effects of the epidural because I was able to breath through a contraction while everyone arrived and got things ready.
The next contraction pushed precious E out. It was harder for me to push this time because normally the pushing contractions of the active phase of labor take over. You can't hold it back. But I had to focus more, and make sure I was pushing with all my might.
Pushing is my favorite part of labor, because I'm distracted from the pain of the contractions by physical labor. And the power is in my hands. I'm in charge of getting the baby out, and it can all be over. It's such an empowering experience. And there's such elation of it being "done." The job is complete.
We're so blessed with another healthy baby. I was able to nurse her immediately, all the while my legs were going numb. Yes, the epidural was coming through. It was the weirdest thing. I lost strength in my legs, especially my right leg. I couldn't move it at all. The nurse decided that there was no way I could get into a wheelchair to be moved to my new room. They had to push me on a stretcher, but even getting onto the stretcher was tough. The nurse and my Mom helped pull while I lifted and scooted my body with my arms. Andy's job was to lift my dead right leg, helping it keep up with the rest of my body.
I stayed numb for a couple hours. In my new room, the nurse wanted to help me go potty, and I said, "No way. Not yet." She explained that I would most likely tee tee on myself since they didn't have time to do a catheter. I said, "Then I'll get wet. I'm not moving." I don't think she realized how numb I really was. I would much rather tee tee all over myself, than hit the floor and break something.
So baby E brought my labor and delivery experience to a new level. I can now say I've gotten an epidural. It had to help with the recovery in some way.