Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Labor & Delivery with A

My due date for A was October 4. He decided to make his grand entrance on October 8 - only 4 days late, the earliest I had had a baby. It was Monday, 7 AM, and I was just starting to stir. As my feet hit the floor and I started to stand, I felt a warm liquid running down my legs. I called out to Andy as I moved toward the bathroom. He came running asking, "What?! What is it?!" I said, "Either my water broke, or I'm peeing on myself and I can't stop." He told me to figure it out, while he got the girls' things together, just in case.
It wasn't tee tee. It was go time. Andy threw the girls into the truck wearing flip flops and PJ's. He packed a quick breakfast and clothes for the girls, loaded our suitcases, and we hit the road. Of course we found ourselves in the middle of morning traffic. I wasn't having any contractions, but we were nervous because 2 previous children were born within an hour of my water breaking. We wanted to get to the hospital ASAP, not knowing what to expect with this labor.
We got to the hospital by 8 AM and were settled into a room pretty quick. While I was getting my IV, Andy dressed and fed the girls. Thankfully, dear friends arrived soon to take the girls to the waiting room to wait for grandparents.
Then I walked, and I walked, and I walked. And then I walked some more. By lunchtime, still no contractions. We needed some help with pitocin. Things started progressing, but slowly. This boy just didn't want to come out! After more pitocin, it started to feel like labor, and I finally reached 10 cm that evening.
I didn't have the urge to push, but we decided to give it a try. Pushing felt weird, like my body was working against my physical efforts. At one point I totally freaked Andy and my doctor out by asking, "What if this baby doesn't come out?" I saw the look on Andy's face and immediately apologized by saying, "I'm sorry hon. It's okay. I didn't mean to freak you out. I'm just thinking things through."
That's me. I hate not being prepared. I like to think things through. I think I may be a control freak, so when things are out of my control, I like have had at least anticipated it. But anticipatory thoughts about terrified my poor husband and doctor. Oops.
A was slow to come out, which probably had lots to do with his size. But out he did come at 10 lbs 14 oz. And he was a boy! After three girls, our first boy.
Another labor. Another delivery. Both so different from the previous three, but it worked. We were blessed with another beautiful, healthy baby.