Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Three's a Crowd


When I was growing up, I had two best friends. We did everything together and loved being with each other. But as we got older, I could easily see that 2 was company, 3 was a crowd. Two of us were always closer with each other rather than the third. And it would shift at times, according to seasons in life. It certainly wasn't intentional for any of us to leave the other out. Nothing was ever said about it, we didn't talk about it, but there was an understanding. It was the natural ebb and flow of our relationship, and we each adjusted accordingly. Looking back, it's amazing we had the maturity to understand and deal with this at such a young age. Or maybe not confronting it head on did deeply scar us since our relationship didn't survive the high school years. But that's another story for another time.


But I'm seeing the same pattern with my girls. Rarely will they all three play well together. Even if they are all in the backyard, C and J will play ball, while M colors with chalk. Or M and J will play with the cars while C swings. Or any number of combinations of sisters with play. But rarely do I catch them all three engaged in the same activity. At times they do try, but it usually results in lots of tension, screams, and occasional bo-bo's.


This is what we're experiencing today. It's so bad that I have sent two outside to play, and left one to play alone in the playroom. It's amazing how drastically the atmosphere changes, just with the removal of one person. We went from total chaos, to quiet and peace in a matter of moments. (So much peace that I am able to sneak away and blog about it!)


So will I be experiencing this 3some drama throughout their teenage years? Thinking of the future trials we will endure makes me smile. I love my family. I love my girls. I love being with them every step of the way in this crazy journey to maturity.