Friday, June 6, 2008

Yum Yum Yummy




Oh no. I'm in the baking mood. It's lots of fun, but not so great on the waistline. Today we made oatmeal raisin cookies, and are they ever so yummy. I used a new recipe - the one from the lid of Quaker oats. I must admit. They are so much tastier than our usual low sugar, wheat ones. Sometimes running out of wheat flour has its advantages. Oops, but oh so yum yum yummy!








C had a fun learning experience. She chose to lick the measuring spoons. The largest one I used for dropping the dough on the cookie sheets, and I intentionally left a little extra for her to lick. Of course the other sizes were used as well for things like vanilla, baking soda, Cinnamon. After licking the dough off, she started to examine the other spoons. She asked if she could lick the Cinnamon. I said, "Sure babe, but I'm not sure that you will like it. Cinnamon doesn't taste too good by itself." Her response, "Oh I'm sure I'll like it Mom. It smells so good." She licked and immediately learned (surprise, surprise) that Cinnamon doesn't taste too good by itself. She said, "Ooh Mom. Not good. And now I don't know how to get this yucky taste out of my mouth."

The scenario reminded me a little too much about my relationship with Christ. I see something, and it looks great. It smells great. I know I will love it. But in the back of my mind I hear God speaking, "Lydia, babe. It looks great, it smells wonderful, but you know it's going to leave a bad taste in your mouth."

How many times do I jump into activities, situations, sinful behaviours knowing it will leave me unfulfilled, depressed and frustrated? Unfortunately, Satan is quite talented in limiting my focus to the excitement of the moment. Lord, help me to remember the after taste of daily decisions.