Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hotel Blah


So we finally found a clean, safe, affordable (somewhat) hotel room. Everyone had to help carry things inside to our room. It takes a considerable amount of gear for a family of six, even though I'm getting good at bringing essentials only - no room for fluff.
Andy carried dinner and hotel keys, followed by M pulling a suitcase, J carrying the toiletry bag, C pushing A in the stroller with the diaper bag, and finally me bringing up the rear with purse, backpack with computer, duffel bag, and second rolling suitcase. It sounds like I got the shaft and Andy had a stroll in the park. But please remember "dinner" is for five people, including drinks. I specifically asked him to take that role because I didn't want to be responsible for dropping any food. We were one hungry gang. Shhh... he still doesn't know it was a potential set up.
So we get to our room and all pile in. After dinner I take time to get the kids ready for bed and straighten the room. (Remember I can't handle chaos.)
So here's the scene: girls in bed, A in crib, me relaxing to Fox News, Andy heading to take a shower. Ooohh ... finally time to kick back and relax. Soak in the moment with me.
But then I hear the water turn off, turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off, turn on, etc... I muted the television. What is going on in there? Finally Andy steps out and asks for help.
We can't get the water any temperature other than extremely hot. I've heard of too cool a shower, but too hot!? We call the front desk who sends someone to work on it. After about 15 minutes he explains, "It's just too hot." Brilliant. (C's new word.)
So obviously we have to move rooms. GREAT! (sarcasm) It's already 9pm, which is way late for our family. But let's go kiddos. We loaded up A's rolling crib with all our gear, got the girls out of bed and headed to a new room.
So our new room is freezing! No really, freezing. I check the thermostat to find it set for 62 degrees. Yeah, that's a little too cold, for sure, especially since it's been raining all day. And A has decided that his little power nap in the original room was equivalent to a good night's sleep. He finally settles down, and we all crash.
I'm still freezing, but at least I have a heater in my bed named Andy. He must have known how exhausted and irritable I was because cold toes nestled between his calves is usually a BIG no no. I survived because of him, but A didn't fare too well. Covers mean nothing to him, and he was freezing.
His wails got my attention about 11pm. Poor baby was like an icecube. I grabbed him and brought him to my heater. Before my head hit the pillow, A was fast asleep on my chest. I held him like this, dozing off and on until about midnight when I returned him to his crib.
So night number one is over, thank goodness. I sure hope this trip gets better sometime soon.