Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Mrs Barba"

Newcomer's Lunch at "Mrs Barba's" house is one of the girls favorite things. I have to be careful and not let them hear about it until Sunday morning. If I tell them too early, they get so excited and then go through the huge let-downs of it not being "today."

Sunday morning I told the girls we were having Newcomer's Lunch. J started jumping up and down saying, "We going to Mrs Barba's. Mrs Barba. Yeah C and M. We going to eat lunch at Mrs Barba's house!"

They absolutely love going to "Mrs Barba's" house. Could it be the fun of a new house? Could it be all the cool toys she has? Could it be the possiblity of chicken nuggets and fries for lunch with *gasp* ketchup?! (If they ever get nuggets from Mom, they are dry.) I know my little girls pretty well, and my guess is that the love is food related.

This Sunday the girls had hotdogs and cheetos for lunch. After finishing the first dog, C asked for another one. "Mrs Barba" asked what she wanted on her hotdog - mustard, ketchup, etc... C answered, "Just whatever you want to put on it. It will be great." My girls have learned that "Mrs Barba" is super cool, and she knows how to cook super great food. They love "Mrs Barba!"

They also love how "Mrs Barba" always has dessert. And it's okay if they have a hard time choosing from all the options she's prepared. They can have ice cream AND cheesecake. What's not to love about "Mrs Barba?!"

And I love that "Mrs Barba" can treat my little girls and even A. (I heard he had his fare share of cheesecake also.) I understand my role as Mom, and I'm on duty 24-7. For the sake of their well-being I can't "spoil" my little girls. But at the same time, I love watching them enjoy treats in life. And "Mrs Barba's" once a quarter lunch is a huge treat for me and the girls. They get to experience what I can't give them, and I get to enjoy watching them enjoy it so much.

That's why my girls love "Mrs Barba's" house so much. And knowing that it comes so rare makes it that much more special for all of us. And I love how the girls recognize that these special treats are that, a special treat. They don't whine and complain to me. They understand that the way Mom does things is the norm, and sometimes, on those rare occassions they'll get a taste of the finer things in life. Fun times with "Mrs Barba." These memories will stay with the girls forever.