Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Kickball

We've learned how to play kickball! Last week I taught the girls, and we can have a pretty intense game of 2 on 2. C and M vs J and Mom. It's so much fun!
When I was first teaching the girls, I didn't tag the girls with the ball. I wanted them to get used to kicking and running the bases. So I would just chase after them saying, "Run fast! Run fast! Don't let me get you!"
They got the hang of the game really fast. I was quite impressed. So then it came time to introduce them to "outs." The first time C ran right past me while I had the ball, I tagged her. She started pouting and had to sit and watch until she was ready to change her attitude. It didn't take long, then I was able to teach her how to handle getting out appropriately.
So we played a bit more. C and M make a pretty good team, and C can kick that ball clear across the yard! I was certainly getting my workout. But they were having so much fun kicking and running that they forgot that I could get them out. I reminded them to stay on base where it was safe if they didn't have to run, especially if I was close by with the ball.
C kept pushing her limits. I know her little mind was thinking, "Mom's not going to get me out." So I once again had to show her the reality of the game (and life). Life happens, and we get out sometimes.
So when I got the opportunity, I went after her. That's when I learned that little booger can run - and fast. I wasn't expecting it to be that difficult to tag her, but let's just say I ended up rolling on the ground. Yes, I took a fall. A big fall. Big preggo Mommy hit the grass rolling. It was hilarious! C turned around and said, "Oh Mom! You got me!" Then she saw me rolling on the ground laughing and joined me. Soon I was surrounded by all three of my little girls, all laughing as hard as I was. I didn't know kickball could be this fun!