Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Rainbow Sherbet

The kids got a special a treat this afternoon!
I had to wake them up from their nap. I HATE waking a sleeping child. I know how important sleep is to a child's health and behavior, so anytime I have had to wake them up the voice inside my head screams - THIS ISN'T RIGHT! I SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS!
But this afternoon it was unavoidable. Andy was in the middle of getting the car inspected, but didn't have the most recent proof of insurance card. Uh oh. Of course I had successfully retrieved it from the midst of junk mail, and safely secured it in my wallet for holding until it could makes its way to the glove compartment. But it had not made the journey from purse to car by the time it was needed. Oops. Back in the day we would say "my bad."
So here we go - off to rescue Dad from needless embarrassment and a huge time waster. (Yes, he asked for us to please hurry. Have you ever seen a 33 week pregnant momma with her 1, 2, 3, and 4 year olds attempt to move fast? It's a sight to see.) As I was walking to the kids' room I said a quick prayer: "Lord, please let them respond well to this adventure. Help them to wake happily and comply quickly." I was really dreading the task of getting them up and loaded in the truck.
But they did such a good job! They were up, in flip-flops, hats thrown on heads, and running to the truck in no time. Honestly the girls almost beat A and I to the truck, and I didn't do anything for him - no hat, no shoes, not even a fresh diaper. I was quite impressed with my little darlings. And I didn't hear one complaint! God certainly answered my prayer beyond what I thought possible.
So when we got home, out came the rainbow sherbet. It's my goal to teach my children that life is much sweeter when we make good choices. This is the second time M and J have experienced sherbet, but it was a first for C and A. While we were sitting, enjoying our cold, tasty treat, I told the girls to try each color separately to see if they could taste the different flavors. Then I asked each one what their favorite color/flavor was. C said red. M said green. J stuck out her tongue and touched it with the tip of her finger and said, "Dat one." She's a hoot.