Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Rule

One of the rules at our house is that Mommy and Daddy's room is off limits. It's my attempt to have some place of escape. The girls know this; A is in training. Most of the time, our bedroom door is shut as a reminder of this rule. And of course there are times when we fudge on the rule and allow our children to come snuggle with us or play, etc..., but that's allowed only by me or Andy.

Well yesterday morning I was sitting in the office reading, listening and waiting for the dryer to stop. I had intentionally left the bedroom door open because I knew I would be returning there with a basket of fresh clothes in a couple minutes.

My little J raced past the office, sprinting into my bedroom. I gently reminded her of the rule by calling out, "J. Where are you going hon?" She walked to me and answered, "Oh nowhere, Ma." To which I prodded further, "What are you doing my J?" She made her intentions clear with, "I'm not going in your bedroom to put lipstick on my lips, Ma. I not do that. No no."

And this is why we have the rule, and keep the door closed.